As usual, we had crap weather on Paws and Claws day. But, we still made it. I picked up a plethora of catnip pillows and a new fleece throw for the garage kitties. I wanted to get a couple of them, but they were more expensive than I remembered, or the vendor I was thinking of wasn't there this year.
I'm not sure which. Possibly both.
But, I'm not concerned. Thanks to Jack's momma and Max's momma, the garage cats are as bolstered against the weather as they're going to get, short of me starting fires. ;) I came home yesterday with two very large bags full of blankets and towels to put down for them, since it's on it's way to blisteringly cold out and only going to get worse the next few days.
Dorian, at least, likes blankies. This was the first one I put out for them a couple of nights ago. He snuggled right in, and so did Smoak. I went in to feed them one morning, and Smoak was curled up, giving me a look that clearly said, "Lady, do not come over here. I'm warm, and I'm comfy, and if you come any closer, I'm going to have to run and get cold again." To which I reluctantly responded, "Sorry, buddy, but if you want your food, I have to come over there." After which, he ran off and hid.
I saw Smoak outside about an hour ago, for a quick stretch before hauling-tail back inside. I think the temp has dropped a couple dozen degrees. Okay, maybe not a couple dozen, but enough. It's flippin' cold out.
Soo... I learned about new things at the expo this morning. Apparently, participants/volunteers/etc of the Relay For Life were disappointed they couldn't bring their fur family to the event, so they started a pet-friendly version called Bark For Life, which is held at Cascades Park. From what I was able to gather, it's a lot like the Paws in the Park event, but instead of supporting the Humane Society, it supports the American Cancer Society. I can totally get behind this event. The date is April 25, 2015, with registration starting at 11 am.
Also, there is a new dog club in town, called One Paw Forward. I haven't been able to learn much, since they're on Facebook, and I am not. However, for those who have sold their souls to Zuckerberg instead of Google.... this is the link to their page.
And, if it wasn't obvious before, it is now. Starbucks has made me their b*tch. :) I bought a bag of one of their single-origin coffees at Meijer. I am in drinklust with the awesomeness that is Timor Mount Ramelau.
I usually don't buy bags of coffee. I use the K-cups, since I brew so sporadically that bulk bags usually go bad before I can finish them. But, I wanted something new, and this stuff sounded good.
So, I bought a bag and a k-filter. And it was delicious. Actually... my second cup is brewing now, making my kitchen smell like heaven, along with the slow-cooker full of lamb chops and potatoes simmering in wine and Worcestershire. *drool*
So, a while ago, I read this article on why homeless people deserve to have dogs, and it got me thinking. (Scary, right?) Why are there no animal rescue shelters run by human rescues? Seriously, why is this not a thing? Someone with the heart and money needs to open an animal rescue shelter, and hire the homeless to help out. Give them a job, help them help themselves, and save the animals. Maybe a co-op between a local homeless shelter and an animal shelter? I know there are those who aren't fit for something like this, but honestly, there are people with homes who aren't fit to be around animals, either. It would obviously take a thorough screening process, but I honestly think it could work. And dammit, if that person with the heart and money ever reads this... I will help out in a second! Because, if I had the money, this would be a thing. It would be happening. And I would be posting about it being a thing and happening, instead of wondering why it isn't a thing and happening.
And on that note, I'm going to go love on my furkids and then get some homework done.

No comments:
Post a Comment